Religious Education Intent Statement
To develop pupils who are religiously literate and able to hold balanced and informed conversations about religion and belief.
RE at Thurlby Community Primary Academy will:
- develop our childrens’ knowledge and understanding of Christianity as well as other principal religions and world views
- focus on concepts as well as content, within the context of enquiry based learning
- explore authentic religious material, e.g. sacred texts
- reflect diversity in terms of the changing religious landscape of the UK so that our children are prepared for life in modern Britain
- engage and challenge pupils, encouraging them to ask thoughtful questions
- reflect childrens’ own experiences and provide a safe space for discussion
- take into account the increase in the number of people with non-religious beliefs and identities
- provide opportunities for personal reflection and spiritual development
- help to prepare children for adult life, enabling them to develop respect and sensitivity for others
- welcome visitors from places of worship within our community to widen childrens’ understanding
- visit places of worship to gain a greater understanding of what faith means to different people
A framework for the teaching of RE has been devised for our School. It has been written to reflect the requirements of the Lincolnshire Agreed Syllabus.