Religious Education Intent Statement
To develop pupils who are religiously literate and able to hold balanced and informed conversations about religion and belief.
RE at Thurlby Community Primary Academy will:
- develop our childrens’ knowledge and understanding of Christianity as well as other principal religions and world views
- focus on concepts as well as content, within the context of enquiry based learning
- explore authentic religious material, e.g. sacred texts
- reflect diversity in terms of the changing religious landscape of the UK so that our children are prepared for life in modern Britain
- engage and challenge pupils, encouraging them to ask thoughtful questions
- reflect childrens’ own experiences and provide a safe space for discussion
- take into account the increase in the number of people with non-religious beliefs and identities
- provide opportunities for personal reflection and spiritual development
- help to prepare children for adult life, enabling them to develop respect and sensitivity for others
- welcome visitors from places of worship within our community to widen childrens’ understanding
- visit places of worship to gain a greater understanding of what faith means to different people
A framework for the teaching of RE has been devised for our School. It has been written to reflect the requirements of the Lincolnshire Agreed Syllabus and is in conjunction with our current scheme: Discovery RE.